a patch for using postfix as smtp-backend with xclient extension

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Sun Mar 23 21:17:40 MSK 2008

Hello!

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 01:02:18AM +0800, Yingbo Qiu wrote:

>  The XCLIENT command that nginx send to backend include
>"LOGIN=foobar" attribute. But postfix couldn't recognise it and report
>"501 5.5.4 Bad XCLIENT attribute name: LOGIN" and close connection. I
>wrote this patch to resolve the issue.

Yes, xclient in nginx was designed to be used with postfix
extended to support LOGIN= in xclient. Patching postfix to support
this is trivial.

>  The patch add a new nginx.conf item "xclient_capabilities". Postfix
>user could custom it to avoid send LOGIN attribute. It make nginx more
>flexible.

Your patch introduces additional cycle and a bunch of unneded
strcmp()'s in main execution path so I don't think it will be
accepted.  At least it should be converted to do all strcmp()'s at
configuration phase.

But actually I think using much more simple solution with e.g.

     xclient <on|off|compat>;

will do.

Anyway, thank you for your work.

Maxim Dounin