nginx.org docs search

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Tue Dec 31 10:35:02 UTC 2019

Hello!

On Sat, Dec 28, 2019 at 09:11:09PM +0100, Bernard Rosset wrote:

> First of all, since it is that time of the year, I hope you had a merry
> Christmas, and I wish you all the best for the new year to come!
>
> I am a regular user of the https://nginx.org/r/ prefix to search
> documentation.
>
> I might have asked that in the past, and/or someone else might have too,
> but I can put my hands on such an answer:
> How does one search a specific directive when multiple one share the
> same name, inter-modules?
> Example case: How to search for
> https://nginx.org/en/docs/stream/ngx_stream_upstream_module.html#server,
> and not https://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_core_module.html#server ?

There is no way to reference a particular directive among multiple
ones with the same name by using the nginx.org/r/ redirector.
Mostly because additional module name would make the link
almost as long as the full one, and this hardly makes sense.

If you want to send a link, consider using a full link instead.
If you are looking for a list of directives (or variables) with a
particular name, consider using the index pages:

http://nginx.org/en/docs/dirindex.html
http://nginx.org/en/docs/varindex.html

--
Maxim Dounin