ssl_client_fingerprint and sha256

Denis Cardon dcardon at tranquil.it
Mon Dec 2 09:55:09 UTC 2019

Hi everyone,

this is my first post on this mailing list, so bear with me :-)

Sorry if my question is silly, but I haven't found any way to use a
sha256 fingerprint for client certificate validation in Nginx. Sha1
fingerprints work fine but we are slowly going toward sha256 as hashing
function by default. The ngx_http_ssl_module documentation explicitly
specify only sha1 [1].

I have seen in the Trac that there is a issue open about that [2].
Perhaps there a good reason for not having it currently. I'll be glad to
hear from you all. We are using ssl client auth for WAPT project [3]
which automates Windows workstation software install and update.

Cheers,

Denis

[1] http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_ssl_module.html
[2] https://trac.nginx.org/nginx/ticket/1302