nginx 0.7.61 keeps crashing

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Tue Jul 7 16:18:02 MSD 2009

Hello!

On Tue, Jul 07, 2009 at 01:36:27PM +0200, Juergen Gotteswinter wrote:

> Hello,
>
> i got a nginx 0.7.61 running on centos 5.3 x86_64 which keeps crashing with
>
> panic: MUTEX_LOCK (22) [op.c:352].
>
> any ideas? or is this a known problem?

It's messaged issued by perl (for some not-yet-investigated
reason).  If you don't need embedded perl - just compile nginx
without it.

Am I right in the assumption that this happens on restart?  If
yes, there were some reports that fixing init script to wait for
nginx to stop before starting a new copy (or at least adding a
sleep 1 between stop and start in restart function) helps.  Or
better - you may use reload instead (since there are no real
reason to restart nginx, reload usually sufficient and doesn't
loose any single request).

Maxim Dounin