BUG report: error log separation per virtual host does not work

Dan Dascalescu ddascalescu+nginx at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 08:09:02 MSK 2009

I reported this bug already at
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.nginx.english/1604/focus=1628
but was using the stable version of nginx. I just upgraded to the
latest development version, 0.7.30, and the bug is still there:

I want to have separate error logs for each virtual host. Here is my
config file, with only one host so far:

error_log  logs/main_error.log;

events {
   worker_connections  1024;
}

http {
   error_log logs/http_error.log;
   server {
       server_name myname.org;
       access_log logs/the_org.access;
       error_log logs/the_org.error;
   }
}

Here is the problem: when the server receives a request for
http://myname.org/nonexistent.file, the request shows up in the access
log (the_org.access), but all 3 error logs remain blank. The error
only shows up in the main_error.log if I comment the
"error_log logs/http_error.log;"
and
"error_log logs/the_org.error;"
lines.

Can this bug please be fixed? Lighttpd's author refused to implement
error log separation (see
http://www.wikivs.com/wiki/Lighttpd_vs_nginx#Separated_error_logging_per_virtual_server)
and I really hoped that nginx could do better...

Best regards,
Dan Dascalescu