Fast CGI (spawn-fcgi / php-cgi) crashes/dies/hangs

Michael Shadle mike503 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 05:30:05 MSK 2009

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 6:21 PM, nerdgrind <nginx-forum at nginx.us> wrote:

> I respect your'e opinions, but for all you're heated desperation to defend php-fcgi you may have forgotten this thread was started by someone who found php-fcgi to be unstable, and he hasn't been able to find a solution. I found one that worked for me when php-fcgi failed. Offering a solution to someone that results in the same failure doesn't seem to be a solution to me.

Not desperation. I think it's more "responding to outlandish claims"

Perhaps you need someone else to help you set it up as you seem to be
having some issues getting a reliable solution going using FCGI. None
of us seem to have issues.

> I've never heard anyone hear discuss these issues, which means a lot of people might be losing out on a lot of traffic that could be coming from search engines because of an SEO problem caused by an incompatibility between php-fcgi and Wordpress.

Or, WordPress just needs a patch to change the behavior, if that is
truly the case. WP should not be sniffing the SAPI to determine
behavior, that's weird, but WP already does a bunch of weird things.

People use WP Supercache with nginx all the time. Perhaps it's issuing
the wrong redirect header, but it at least works. I don't remember
what the OP was asking in the beginning but if it doesn't work then
there is something else going on. If the issue was the wrong type of
redirect being issued, that's not something that can be fixed by nginx
- that's a WP issue. Switching webservers because of that seems a bit
overkill; I would submit a bug with WP for it, it is small and I would
think it should be able to get in the next release.